Tuesday 1 November 2011

Floral garden Applique

Well this second half of the year at Pegs Pieces at Kirrawee I have been teaching a wonderful group of ladies my new applique quilt  'A Floral Garden ". This is the second year we have been together and I needed to have a long term project for them ,so I started with the rose of sharon flower and worked in some tradional blocks and some of my original blocks and came up with a 16 block quilt. It didnt look right so 4 more blocks I designed and presto 20 blocks , then for the borders they are 4 very detailed applique vines going around the quilt. Mine is on black  and some of the girls are also on black , some navy, mint and  white . It is very rewarding to watch this process of the girls working  through the blocks , sometimes very much out of their comfort colour zone, but ALL of them are delighted and enjoying the quilt so much.

This makes me very happy , you see Im usually a techniques teacher,I  teacher them then leave on to the next group and to be a part of a whole quilt with them has been very rewarding for me. I have loved it so much. We will continue next year as they have agreed to finish off the 20 blocks for Feb 2012 and then we will go on to layout of the blocks , some will  setthem  in , some will sash, and then to the borders . These are alot of work but I love the look really rich and delicious looking quilt. We will then go about quilting the quilts also in class in 2012.
Here is a small selection of blocks for you to see for your self.
Sue"s on white
Loz's on white
Laurels on Navy
Kims using Kaffe Fassett fabrics only on black
One of my borders
I will be teaching this quilt at Pegs Pieces at Kirrawee in 2012 as well as Blueberries at Wyong and Hobby Sew kings Park with Kings park having the afternoon in free motion quilting Techniques.  Contact details in the colomn to the right ........

No comments: