Sunday 1 September 2013

it works well

Yesterday Saturday after class I went to Kylies home . Kylie has a new garage and needed to pin a quilt for her daughter. I always suggest to students that two sheets of light ply wood 8 x 4 feet in size joined together makes a great pinning table. Well we tried it out. I have always pinned on my floor boards but we have had them polished and I'm banned from ruining the floors now , so I have to get this new way of doing things under my belt too. Kylie duck tapped the boards together and then placed this on a few fold up tables available from burnings stores etc....





 The tape stuck beautifully on the boards, the boards were only 5 mm thick light enough for 2 ladies to lift. Pinning worked out well around the outside as I always do first then we folded the boards in half and leaned it up against her roller door, then we pinned the centre standing up. EASY..... But the duck tape split... bugger... so if you hinge the boards together then it would be perfect.
 
 
What about glueing cotton wadding to each of the boards separately and you get  a 8 foot design wall. HEAVEN.........yes it works a treat.....




Friday at Kings Park Hobby Sew

My once a month classes are so wonderful, I am really loving then they work so well.  I have the opportunity to really follow through with skill levels and see the improvement.Here is  Ally's quilt , last year she started a strip Dresden plate quilt after seeing my last nights left overs quilt and liked the idea.
So below is the Dresden plate block first

strip Dresden block completed,  love the fussy cut centre. Colours working really well together.



Ally like the idea of every second block applique so this is her applique blocks
 
Okay looking great then grey sash added and now the quilting.
As I always advise Ally has ditched all piecing and now feather quilting in the large triangles that join the blocks together, fantastic job Ally the feathers are quilted beautifully.


So this is the quilt so far we discussed more quilting options for the void areas around the inside areas of blocks.
Great job Ally....Ill post a full finished photo when the quilt if finished with Ally's permission of course.



2014
ONCE A MONTH CLASSES WITH ME ARE AVAILABLE AT THE FOLLOWING, PLEASE CONTACT THE STORE FOR DATES AND AVAILABLITY.

PEGS PIECES KIRRAWEE
HOBBY SEW KINGS PARK
HOBBY SEW FIGTREE
BLUEBERRIES WYONG
.

 

2 comments:

Lee B said...

I have my board (made after last years class) folded in half in my bedroom. It only fits in one place in the whole house on the floor of the lounge room if I push back some chairs but it's been invaluable. Thanks Deb. This post's work is just lovely

Unknown said...

That's neat! I did the same sort of thing with interlocking 4 x 8 foam boards. Have a nice design wall now. Didn't think of using it for pinning though. Interesting!