Wednesday 18 February 2015

up and runnning for 2015

Up and running for 2015

This is actually the place I spend a lot of the Xmas break... On my veranda resting and chillin as the youth say.... I hope you enjoyed your break too. We all need R and R and John and  I certainly did so we had a wine or two, sat and watched the river go by. ... Heaven... I didn't sew much at all a few little things just needed a break.



Well the new teaching year has begun with a terrific start. On the 15th January I met Katrina Hadjimichael and Lisa Walton at the International Airport here in Sydney for our flight out to Palmerston North for Quilt Symposium Manawatu.


The Kiwis surely know how to run a big quilting event. As you might recall I was a tutor at the 2013 event at Taupo and had a terrific time . Although as my first international event with 35 other tutors I was intimidated at first but by the famous tutors. But as soon as I was in the class room it all fell into place and away I went.
Well this time I felt quite at home enjoying the other tutors  company enormously. Actually some of the tutors I have taught before at AQC , and they remembered me . So that was really lovely. It was Katrina's first time so I made sure she felt comfortable and I was around when Katrina needed. But she was wonderful, fully enjoying the experience didn't need me at all , but we just enjoyed the experience and the networking. We arrived at our motel to a wonderful bag of gifts, 'information , chocolate in the shape of scissors, cutters etc.  and wine .


goodies
 
View from my room at sunset which was around 9 pm...Palmerston is a shopping town , very flat with some really great eating places.
 


 The event was held at the local high school during the summer school holidays . Every symposium is held during some school holidays as this where the 1200 students and over 35 tutors could fit in one place. Actually the schools are perfect, classrooms , halls, Gyms for the merchant halls ,wet areas for dyeing etc ...

School
 
The weather for the 5 days was very warm, quite unusual for NZ. There hasn't been much rain there lately so the green rolling hills of NZ were a little brown but still very beautiful.
 
 
 
 The school grounds were lots of shady trees gave cooling relief from the hot classrooms for some.

 
This was one of the lovely ladies pin cushion, Her childhood NZ wool blanket cut up and rolled for her pins... love it ......
 My class room, was quite cool, we had an extra outside door to catch  the breeze . I had 5 one day classes and all were full capacity at 18. Which was lovely. Actually the committee said mine were one of the first to fill so that was wonderful. So off we went into lots of learning. The kiwi students are terrific and had lots of questions as the day went along. This I ADORE in class makes the day more stimulating for me and the students.
I  taught the following classes :
 1. The walking foot , theory and decorative stitch quilting.


2. Blind hem and Free motion raw edge applique




 

Lovely flowers were created in the morning session.


3. The Magical 6, a journey into free motion quilting and again the ladies did really beautiful work.






 
 



4. Quilting with Stencils class was a huge success and ladies rearing to quilt with commercial stencils and change them to suit their own quilts. I really enjoy this class its lovely to watch the quilters really improve their skills very quickly and enjoy their day.

5. Last day as trapunto hearted heart with flowers and colouring. Beautiful work was achieved and lots of happy ladies can now trapunto feather their quilts.

Phew!!!!! 5 days went quickly and everyone is exhausted and very happy.

The closing ceremony was fun, where Lisa thanked the organising committee form the tutors and the new committee was announced.:

2017 October in Christchurch are the winners.....

Below here they are having fun with their slogan for the symposium,"Creative Constructions "


 I only want to encourage you to think about 2017 for a fantastic quilting time. Contact the committee just search Symposium Christchurch and register your interest.

Good Bye from Palmerston North Symposium 2015


After Palmerston I flew with Rosalie Dace from south Africa to Christchurch where we taught for another 2 days . Rosalie gave the group a wonderful lecture on quilting is ART. So inspirational I loved it , yes we all create our own art....

Classes went well and the ladies enjoyed the free motion daisy and blind hem class and stencils class enormously. Thank you I also really enjoyed my time with you all.

Thank you  for the hospitality , sightseeing and excellent meals .

My class Room full of buzzing sewing machines
 

Dessert was fabulous and company excellent with the committee and Rosalie
 

 
 A tour of Christchurch was very moving and sad. An instillation of remembrance ..... I had an extensive  tour of some of the suburbs that was severely effected by the earthquakes. Very sad but Christchurch has this amazing sense of determination to conquer and rise up again to be a thriving city.

 
Class work

Fantastic fabric I bought from Katherine from Distressed Threads, all dyed, stamped, printed, stained or rusted. Amazing fabric , I cant wait to have a play.

Now back to the swing of once a month classes for the year .

There are a few spaces available in the Hobby Sew Figtree store on a Wednesday once a month with me if you know of any one interested. Contact the store for details.


Bernina Q20


I had the pleasure to sit on the brand new Bernina  Q20,  while in New Zealand and since back at Bernina's head office. I gave it a wonderful going over and I LOVE IT....

This 20 inch big fast strong free motion quilting machine is sensational. I will be demonstrating on it at AQC in April , Sydney , Melbourne and Brisbane Quilt and Craft shows so come and say Hi .





That's long enough for this post, I will endeavour to post more often.

thanks for listening

Happy Quilting

x DEB


 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your article....its very simple and useful for me:
Take a look to our article Shimla Manali

Tour